* UPDATE Found out that re-installing BBM 5.0 syncs avatars a lot faster than just waiting. Not all, but most of them did. If you’re not able to see avatars you may want to try re-installing BBM 5.0 if the steps below don’t work. Don’t forget to make a backup! *
Just thought I’d share with everyone that it seems as if RIM has decided to allow avatar usage within BlackBerry Messenger 5.0!
If you missed it, last Friday BBM 5.0 was leaked for many BlackBerry devices and is still available for download both through desktop installation with ZIP files and OTA installation right through your BlackBerry Browser.
I also did a roundup of new features with screenshots of the new BBM 5.0. At the time, though, BBM 5.0 did not allow syncing of your contacts’ avatars directly from them. You had to add them as a contact to your address book with a caller ID picture in order for their avatar to work. That’s not the case anymore as RIM is now allowing avatar usage for everyone! (I think)
So far many have been able to change their avatar photo, but some many not know how to. Using the photos above as a visual aid, follow these instructions if you need help changing/updating yours:
- Open BlackBerry Messenger (5.0).
- Open the menu, scroll to “Edit My Info” and click.
- Once you’re in “Edit My Info” scroll up to the box displaying the silhouette of a person to the left of “Display Name” (see where the green arrow is pointing above) and click it.
- In the next window you will be taken to the photos located in your BlackBerry device memory or media card. Once you find the photo you want to use select and click it.
- Next you will have to correctly size the image for it to be displayed as your avatar. You are given the option to crop your image, or you can simply open the menu and zoom out enough to be able to use the entire image instead of cropping it. Once you have done what you want to do, open the menu and select “Crop and Save”.
- Your avatar will now load and sync to your BBM contacts (if they have 5.0).
If you already have an avatar selected for yourself you may need to re-load it using the steps above. It may take a minute or two depending on your network connection, so no need to worry if your BBM contacts aren’t seeing your image right away. Some of my own contacts were able to update their avatar and I am now able to see them in my BBM contact list.
Hope this was useful. Let me know how it works out for you in the comments!
Share the love
Get free updates and win BlackBerry prizes
People Who Liked This Article Also Liked...
Related Posts From Forum... Have Your Say!
This section is coming soon...