RIM has announced via their BlackBerry Support Forums that the Enhanced Google Mail Plug-in for BlackBerry is now available!
The Enhanced Google Mail™ plug-in for BlackBerry® smartphones introduces an advanced level of email service integration for BlackBerry smartphones. It supports additional Google Mail™ features that provide BlackBerry® Internet Service subscribers with broader access to their Google Mail accounts while on the go. The Enhanced Google Mail plug-in is optional. Existing and new Google Mail integrations will continue to function without it.
- Add and remove labels and stars on email messages
- Report spam email messages
- Perform local and remote searches
- Archive email messages
- View related email messages as a single conversation (threaded view)
Synchronization only happens from your BlackBerry to your Google Mail account, meaning some changes made through your Google Mail account won’t sync to your BlackBerry. Your BlackBerry must be running at least OS 4.5 (get your latest OS here) in order to download the Enhanced Google Mail plug-in, and your Google Mail account must be associated with BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) through your carrier.
Once you associate your Google Mail account you will receive a PIN with instructions on how to download the plug-in. If you already have your Google Mail accounts associated with your BIS you will need to re-associate them. In addition, your Google Mail account must have IMAP enabled, not POP. Detailed info available in the following RIM Knowledge Base articles:
- System requirements and installation of the Enhanced Google Mail plug-in
- Features of the Enhanced Google Mail plug-in
- Limitations of the Enhanced Google Mail plug-in
- How to associate email accounts with the BlackBerry Internet Service
- How to remove an integrated email address from the BlackBerry Internet Service
Let me know how this works for you in the comments!