I’m sure many of you have been hearing the buzz that 40% of BlackBerry users want to get an iPhone or Android smartphone next. I personally couldn’t believe that so when The Register posted about one of comScore’s reports, I had to mention it. Now, if 40% of BlackBerry users want to switch, how is it that (according to the comScore chart above) RIM still holds the top smartphone spot with 42.1% of smartphone subscribers, a 1.3 increase over three months.
On top of that, Apple actually went down 0.1 points to 25.4%, Microsoft went down 4 points to 15.1% and while Google went up 5.2 points they’re only holding 9% of smartphone subscribers. Palm…not even worth mentioning.
On top of these stats, Eric let me know that Myxer did some tracking of its own and found that BlackBerry smartphones were on top for downloads in March 2009 and 2010 (comScore is up to February 2010). Check out Myxer’s report after the jump.
Keep in mind that the following stats are based on visits to Myxer’s site (which is a very popular site)…
- 22 million downloads were made by smartphones in March 2010, 72% of these came from BlackBerry handsets.
- Not only does BlackBerry have the largest percentage of smartphone users on Myxer, but they are also the most active when it comes to downloading content.
- RIM continues to far outpace Windows, Palm, webOS, Android, iPhone and Symbian based on mobile visits, growing from a 58% market share in March 2009 to a 63% share in March 2010.
- Android has seen a steady increase in number of registered users on Myxer, growing from 7% in March 2009 to 17% in March 2010.
- Windows Mobile has taken the biggest hit on Myxer over the last year – losing 50% of their share of mobile visits, falling from 21% to 10%.
I don’t know about you but to me, it doesn’t look like 40% of BlackBerry users want to switch smartphones. For more info about each of these surveys/reports visit the following links:
- Crowd Science: Android Battles iPhone for Hearts of Lustful Blackberry Users, Finds Latest Crowd Science Survey
- The Register: BlackBerry sees iPhone shrink in rear view mirror
- Myxer: March 2010: BlackBerry Dominates Downloads
Keep in mind, surveys rely on users (so it depends on who responds/answers) and reports rely on data (as shown by The Register and Myxer).
Share the love
Get free updates and win BlackBerry prizes
People Who Liked This Article Also Liked...
Related Posts From Forum... Have Your Say!
This section is coming soon...