UPDATE 7/15 @ 12:50PM New OTA download link thanks to geekymojo! *
While browsing through the web I was lucky enough to re-stumble upon the Indonesian BlackBerry Google Groups page and in turn found that Facebook for BlackBerry beta version 220.127.116.11 had been leaked! The latest official version of this app is 18.104.22.168 so the leaked version is a decent jump. We’ve heard rumors that version 1.8 was being tested in the BlackBerry Beta Zone so I guess a tester decided to leak it.
This does appear to be the version in the Beta Zone since it requires a keycode but one of the posters in the groups page provided a workaround which actually works. Here are the steps:
- Make sure you have the latest official version of Facebook for Blackberry installed from blackberry.com/facebook.
- Download the Facebook beta app (links below).
- When the download is finished and you are prompted to reboot…DON’T.
- Press the red call button to escape to the homescreen.
- Go your Facebook app icon and click it.
- Accept the terms and go into the app.
- Once the app is running open the menu and select options then logout.
- Re-run the app and input your login credentials to access Facebook.
- Reboot your BlackBerry after the Facebook app fully loads.
- Once your BlackBerry is up and running access the Facebook app again. It should now be version 22.214.171.124 without a keycode!
So far I’ve noticed some changes in the options menu, slight speed increase and “add as friend” in comments (was that there?), but that’s about it. I wonder if this keycode workaround works with all of the apps in the Beta Zone…
- Download via OTA: Facebook for BlackBerry Beta v126.96.36.199
- How To:
DISCLAIMER: Install at your own risk. This is Leaked/Beta software that is not guaranteed to be stable and therefore will not be supported by RIM or your wireless carrier should you run into some problems. It is highly recommended that you make a backup before using this software. If you are not comfortable using Leaked/Beta software you should probably wait for the next official release. *