After posting about the new QR code integration for our store I realized not everyone might know how to scan barcodes using BlackBerry Messenger, so I decided to write up a new Quick Guide. Here is some info about QR codes courtesy of WikiPedia:
A QR Code is a matrix code (or two-dimensional bar code) created by Japanese corporation Denso-Wave in 1994. The “QR” is derived from “Quick Response”, as the creator intended the code to allow its contents to be decoded at high speed.
Many of you might not have known that the barcode scanner in BlackBerry Messenger could also be used to scan non-BBM Group barcodes. This Quick Guide will show you how.
Note: Older BlackBerry smartphones might not support barcode scanning.
- Find the BlackBerry Messenger application icon and click it. If it isn’t in the main application screen you might be able to find it in the Instant Messaging folder.
- Scroll down to the bottom drop down menu labeled BlackBerry Groups and expand it.
- Once the drop down is expanded scroll down to Scan a Group Barcode and click it.
- Your BlackBerry’s camera will now activate after showing you a quick guide on how to scan a barcode. Make sure there is sufficient lighting, focus your camera on the barcode and let it get scanned.
- If the barcode is valid a pop up will appear with options on how to handle the data in the barcode. For example, if the barcode is for a website URL, you will be prompted with an Open link? pop up where you can choose Yes or No.
- Choose whether you want to continue to the barcodes destination or cancel.
Share the love
Get free updates and win BlackBerry prizes
People Who Liked This Article Also Liked...
Related Posts From Forum... Have Your Say!
This section is coming soon...