A few weeks ago I posted about the BlackBerry instant messaging clients getting updated but a reader pointed out that ICQ was excluded from this update. The reason for this exclusion is now known, RIM is officially discontinuing the ICQ app for BlackBerry smartphones.
I’ve never known anyone to actually use this application but apparently there are millions of registered users who still do. RIM didn’t give a reason for this discontinuation but they did say “For alternative instant messaging applications, please visit BlackBerry App World”. Here are the steps they provided for removing ICQ (if you want to):
- On the BlackBerry smartphone, go to Options
- Complete the appropriate following step for the version of BlackBerry® Device Software:
- If the smartphone is using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 to 4.7, go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications.
- If the smartphone is using BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, go to Options > Applications> then select Third Party.
- If the smartphone is using BlackBerry 6.0, go to Options > Device > Application Management.
- Highlight the ICQ application, press the Menu key and select Delete.
As of December 4th users will not be able to download or use the ICQ app. Is anyone going to miss it or will you just use something else?
[ Source ]
Share the love
Get free updates and win BlackBerry prizes
People Who Liked This Article Also Liked...
Related Posts From Forum... Have Your Say!
This section is coming soon...