The Blackberry Playbook v2.0 update undoubtedly improved the device. As always, with a software update, there were some bugs and issues with the new OS version. Luckily, RIM has just released the Blackberry Playbook OS update v184.108.40.2062 which fixes a lot of those issues and introduces some truly spectacular new features. Let’s take a look!
Blackberry Playbook OS v220.127.116.112 Now Available For Download
After a long beta period, the new Playbook OS has finally arrived, and man was it was worth the wait! Improvements have been made to the Android apps runtime, Blackberry Bridge and the Wi-Fi transport. Want to know more? Then keep reading!
Some of the bigger changes in the latest update include the following:
- New BlackBerry Bridge features: When connected to a Blackberry smartphone via Bluetooth you can now view, respond and compose SMS messages on the tablet. Yes, you can now text from your Playbook!
- Wi-Fi transport: BlackBerry Bridge data is automatically routed over Wi-Fi while the paired PlayBook and BlackBerry smartphone are connected to the same access point over a local area network
- New features for BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps:
- Each Android app will run in its own navigator window. Now you can have multiple Android apps open at a time, each within their own separate window. This new multi-window function is much better for multi-tasking!
- Support for apps that require access to the camera hardware. Android applications can now use the Playbook’s camera.
- Purchase content within Android apps with support for in-app payments. This means you can finally purchase content within an app. Great for those freemium Android games that want you to pay a little extra to unlock more goodies!
Blackberry Playbook OS v18.104.22.1682 Additional Improvements
Of course, there are still more improvements in the latest Playbook OS:
- Support for portrait views in Messages, Calendar and Contacts apps: changes the view to the critical information on the screen.
- Folder sync and management: specify which folders in an email account using Microsoft ActiveSync get synchronized to the tablet.
- IMAP folder support: get full access to mail folders for IMAP accounts added to the tablet.
- In the Print To Go app, deliver content to the PlayBook while on any Wi-Fi network, even if it’s different from the PC you’re printing from.
- Encryption of personal data: enable full device encryption through Options > Security > Encryption.
- OTA (over the air) enrollment with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion.
- For BlackBerry Mobile Fusion administrators:
- New security features, including the ability to enable full device encryption and disable development mode for enterprise-connected PlayBook tablets.
- Ability to configure certificate-based authentication for access to work email and PIM via Microsoft ActiveSync.
More Detailed Information, About The New Playbook OS, to Come!
This is just a basic rundown of the latest improvements and features. Expect a more in depth look at some of the bigger improvements to the OS within the next few days! We’re going to describe how the new Android apps work with the new multi-tasking support and the new Blackberry Bridge features!
We will certainly update this post with the relevant links when the other content is published!
In the meantime, make sure you update your Playbook to the latest OS! The update is available now for the Wi-Fi versions of the Blackberry Playbook. The 4G LTE update will be available within the next month or so depending upon carrier approval.
How to Update Your BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet:
You will automatically receive a software update notification on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet status ribbon, or you can check for the software update at any time by going to the settings menu under “Software Updates” and tapping “Check for Updates”. Then follow the steps to update.
UPDATE: We’ve discussed the best features of OS v22.214.171.1243 in more detail.
Share the love
Get free updates and win BlackBerry prizes
People Who Liked This Article Also Liked...
Related Posts From Forum... Have Your Say!
This section is coming soon...